Sunday, January 6, 2013

Miracles are Happening!!!

An update on my Dad's blog is far overdue!!!  I want to fill everyone in on the last few months and how my dad is doing.  Like I said in the last post my dad's last day of radiation treatments was on October 12, 2012.  We had to wait a month for him to receive his next MRI to see if the treatments stopped the cancer at all.  On November 8, 2012 he had his MRI.  We didn't receive the results back from that until November 12th.  They couldn't tell us much from this MRI which we were all a little disappointed about.  We thought they would be able to tell us whether or not the treatments were successful or not.  Instead they told us that this was the base line MRI and they will compare the next MRI to this one in two months.  So again we were left to wait.  We feel like we have been doing a lot of waiting to find out results.

In the meantime of waiting my dad has been having a very strong dose of chemotherapy for 5 days in a row every 28 days.  This has made him very sick and he does not have an appetite.  Everything that he tries to eat doesn't taste good to him whatsoever.  This has been a little frustrating for him because he is hungry but his taste buds are not the same so he doesn't want to eat much.  He tries his hardest to get up and do things around the house but he gets winded very quickly and he gets confused about how to do things so he spends most of his time in bed.  He can't figure out numbers or time anymore which is beyond sad seeing as how amazing at math he was.  Being good at math was his livelihood.  But in all this change he has stayed extremely positive. He has an incredible amount of faith that what is supposed to be will be.  

On November 17, 2012 my parents celebrated their 37th wedding anniversary!!!  My family drove to Colorado that day from Utah for the Thanksgiving holiday and we were able to celebrate with my parents.  My brother Doug and his wife Shauna and Joel and I all took my parents out to The Melting Pot for their special day.  I don't remember the last time my parents let us crash their anniversary evening so this was quite the treat!!!


Thanksgiving Day!!!  We were able to celebrate Thanksgiving with family and loved ones.  My mom cooked an amazing Thanksgiving feast as always!!!
Thanksgiving week came and went rather quickly.  We were helping my parents get ready for Christmas and everything that goes along with that.  Shopping, putting up Christmas lights, getting Christmas trees put together.  Everything that my dad has done for the last 37 years he was not able to do this holiday season in preparing for Christmas.  This was extremely hard on him and we want to thank so many of you who came and helped do everything from putting up lights to bringing in dinner and raking leaves and shoveling the driveway. 

On December 17, 2012 my dad was feeling very very sick so my mom took him to the hospital.  In talking with the doctor my mom had mentioned that my dad's leg had been bothering him.  The doctor acted very quickly and ordered an ultrasound.  Minutes later he was taken away to get an ultrasound of his leg.  The ultrasound showed that my dad had a blood clot from his groin to ankle.  This is another example of one of the many miracles we have seen since my dad has been diagnosed.  Once my dad was at the hospital he started feeling better.  We truly believe that he was so sick so that my mom would be prompted to take him to the hospital to find this blood clot which could have very easily been fatal.  We feel so blessed and grateful for these tender mercies!  Since my dad was in the hospital they decided to do an MRI on December 18th.  This was the second MRI that we were waiting for so that they could compare the MRI in October to this one.  The MRI came back with flying colors.  Nothing has changed at all which is great news!  The cancer hasn't grown or spread at all.  What an amazing thing to learn right before Christmas.  We could all rest easy knowing that the treatments are working.  He wasn't supposed to have his next MRI until January 8th so it was truly a blessing to learn this news so early.  My dad was released from the hospital on December 19th.  He had to give himself shots of blood thinner twice a day in order to be released.  He has been back to follow up appointments and his blood is back to where they would like to see it.  Being on all of these blood thinners has definitely made him extremely cold so he is trying to stay as bundled up as possible during all of this cold weather!

Christmas Eve Dinner!  We always have our big dinner on Christmas Eve that way we can all relax on Christmas and even stay in our pj's all day if we want!! 

 Every Christmas Eve we open new Christmas jammies!!  This year all of the grand kids got pj's and dream lights!!!  It was so fun to have all of the grandchildren together this Christmas to be with Grandpa!!!

 Grandpa opening his pajamas!!!
 Christmas morning opening up presents!

 In everything that my dad is going through his spirits are still high and he is truly a fighter!!! 
I think I can speak for the entire family in saying that we truly got the one gift that we asked for this year for Christmas, our Husband, Dad, Brother, Uncle, Grandpa, and Friend!!!  We are so blessed to have him in our lives!  He is really making us reflect on our own lives and reevaluate what really matters.

My dad will have another MRI in two months to monitor the cancer.  We will keep you updated as we find out more.  Unfortunately it's just a lot of waiting on our end so there isn't much to update. 

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers and love that you show our family on a daily basis.  We couldn't get through this trial in life without the love and support of all of you.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy to hear the good news and it looks like you had a wonderful Christmas with your family. I think about you all very often. I will keep your Dad in my prayers. God Bless you all..

    ReplyDelete